Car reservation

Want to camp in Yosemite? Here’s how to snag a reservation this week

If you want to go camping in Yosemite this summer, you’ll have to act fast.

Park officials will release reservations for Wawona Campground on Wednesday for arrival between April 28 and September 14, the National Park Service announced on Twitter.

Reservations are required for all open campgrounds in the park, and extremely popular campsites usually sell out within minutes.

Here’s what you need to know:

How to make a reservation?

Wawona Campground reservations will be released at 7 a.m. Wednesday on recreation.gov.

Those wishing to make a reservation must log in or create an account before check-out time, park officials said. Reservations can only be added to your cart if you are logged in.

“Do not come to Yosemite without an overnight reservation if you intend to stay overnight,” park officials said. “Same-day camping reservations are not available at the park.”

the daily rate in Wawona is $36 for non-group sites. Group sites are $75.

There are a total of 97 sites at Wawona Campground.

Which campsites are open this summer?

Yosemite has 13 campsites. Wawona, Upper Pines, Lower Pines, North Pines, Camp 4, Hodgdon Meadow, Tamarack Flat, White Wolf and Yosemite Creek campgrounds will be open this summer by reservation, according to the park service.

Tuolumne Meadows, Crane Flat, Bridalveil Creek and Porcupine Flat campgrounds will be closed this year.

Park officials said reservation updates for Tamarack Flat, White Wolf and Yosemite Creek campgrounds will be available soon.

Where is Wawona Campground?

Wawona Campground is at the south end of the park, 27 miles and about 45 minutes from Yosemite Valley, at an elevation of 4,000 feet, according to the Park Service.

Wawona was home to the park’s headquarters in 1904 and the historic structures still stand. The Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias and the Pioneer History Center are near the site.

The site can accommodate RVs and trailers up to 35 feet.

What if I don’t want to spend the night?

Reservations are also required to travel to Yosemite National Park during peak hours (6 a.m. to 4 p.m.) from May 20 to September 30.

While 70% of these bookings became available in March, the remaining 30% are still available on a rolling basis seven days prior to arrival. In other words, you can make a reservation for an arrival date of September 30 from September 23.

Reservations are available each day at 8 a.m. Pacific time and are taken almost immediately.

Anyone who books accommodation, camping or a vacation rental in the park is automatically included in the reservation system during peak hours, according to the Park Service.

The non-refundable booking fee is $2. This is in addition to the parking lot entrance fee of $35 per car.

Why is it so difficult to get a reservation?

The park implemented the reservation system in an effort to combat long-standing issues with summer congestion.

Yosemite attracted 3.3 million visitors in 2021, NPS statistics showmaking it the 21st busiest park in the system and the busiest in California.